Wednesday, October 8, 2008

So I lied

I'm not going to do either of the albums that I said I would. It's also been less than a week since I put the last one up so bite me, I'm making an effort here. I actually have one all written for Milo Goes to College but I've got something better than that.

I'm going to shamelessly plug my friends' music here. Today we will be talking about 4point0.

4point0 is a rock-ska band from Baldwinsville, NY. They're also the only decent thing to happen in this town, musically, in a while. Visit their myspace so that you can hear what I'm talking about.

I'm going to come right out and say, old-school, generic, basic ska? That shit bores me to tears. Play something besides an upstroke goddammit. Fortunately Making The Grade avoids that entirely. If I had to make a comparison right now to a successful ska band, off the top of my head I'd say Reel Big Fish. I mean I'd probably be wrong but hey, fuck you, this is my blog I can say what I want.

For a band that half of its members are still in high school, these guys are great. The guitar is rockin', the horn section is tight, drums are awesome, and the lyrics are great, when they remember the lyrics.

I've got a couple complaints about the EP, but it's all little shit. What it really amounts to is me not liking the mix on all of the tracks, but not so much that I don't enjoy it anyway.

To sum it all up, if you're in central New York, go check these guys out.
Really, do it. I just told you to and now you have to. One of the perks of writing this blog.

1 comment:

bkbmx said...

4point0 Loves you<3

I think most of us agree that it has little sketchy bits, but time is big money in the studio... we are pretty satisfied with it tho and we think people would find dropping a couple bucks on a disk worth it! proceeds will go to better music!♫!♫