Friday, October 3, 2008

I WAS BUSY

Ok not really, I was just lazy. But enough about me. Let's talk music.
Today we'll be taking a look at one of the best punk albums, ever. Like if you disagree with me about how fucking great this is, you risk getting your throat slit just because you are so wrong. I'm talking, of course, about the first Ramones album.



Ok let me just start out by saying, they could not play or sing or anything worth a damn. But that's part of the appeal of this album: It really is just four dudes rocking out. None of the fancy stuff that a lot of other albums were doing right then. Remember, this was the time of arena rock. This was some radical shit right here.

Simple music rules here. I could fit the lyrics on a napkin, and the chords on a matchbook cover. That doesn't make them any less great. The famous chant of "hey ho, let's go" is still fucking awesome. I guess there's some kind of meaning in these lyrics; Beat On The Brat is about hating stuck-up rich kids, 53rd and 3rd is about Dee Dee sucking dick for heroin money. But really why would you let some silly little thing like meaning get in the way of singing along?

I think that just about covers it. I mean, really how many more ways can I say "I love this album"? Easily one of the best punk albums ever, and it's my personal favorite, narrowly beating out London Calling.
I give the Ramones' debut album a 5/5. Perfection at its....most perfect? I don't know, something like that.

Next time on "Donny's occasional music blog", I'll be doing another of my top three albums; either London Calling or Milo Goes To College.

No comments: